New Game Pack

You have made a game with PaC-DK or you are working on one? Tell us about here!
StarLite
An Adventure Creator

New Game Pack

15 Sep 2009, 21:03

Good day fellow creators

Well I'm getting close to the end of Roanoke and I'm very happy with the results. I've decided to make a game pack for beginners just starting out who want to learn how to make games but are not experienced at making graphics. The pack is going to consist of rooms, characters both human and our furry friends, items, objects etc. Here is a room that I've started making.

If anyone could use this room then just grab it and if anyone could think of anything else that could be added to a room like this then just let me know. I may also just make empty rooms so people could add their own items. Enjoy and happy creating :comp:

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven

http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net

Benni
Tutorial Reader

16 Sep 2009, 14:41

The camera position looks a little strange, it seems to be only a few centimeters above the floor. Maybe you should try to move it up a little, to get a less unusual perspective. This becomes a real issue if you want to put objects on the shelf or the table because you can't really see what's on top of them. And the color of the walls looks really ugly. But apart from that, it is surely useful for someone who just wants to play around and learn PaC-DK.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

16 Sep 2009, 16:56

Hey Benni,

Thanks for the input. This room is basically just a walk around. You can interact with the bookcase and end table at the right of the sofa if you want to.

I will be making empty rooms and objects and showing them at different angles.
it is surely useful for someone who just wants to play around and learn PaC-DK.
This pack is mainly to help the beginner. I don't know how many times I've heard from people, "I would love to make a game but can't draw," so just imagine the games we've missed out on playing based on that premise alone.

Another thing I've heard people ask, "is there a pre made graphic pack around that I can download." Well now there will be. I hope that someone will get some use out of this pack, if so, then it will be all worth while. :)

Benni
Tutorial Reader

16 Sep 2009, 18:48

I don't think that people will be able to actuall make games using a pre-defined set of rooms. The possibilities are just too limited. But it is definitely a good starting point. It allows people to play around with the editor and get an idea of the possibilities and then they will be more motivated to learn how to create their own graphics.

If you want a graphics pack that can be reused for lots of different games, this will work only with an isometric perspective (RPG-Maker style), not with rendered artwork. You just can't move that rendered table around in the room without messing up the perspective.

So, either you make a playground for beginners, which will be great for some early successes, but not useful for individual games, or you need to create your graphics pack in a less realistic, isometric style. But don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with the playground approach!

Schiman
PaC-DK God

16 Sep 2009, 22:33

Benni wrote:If you want a graphics pack that can be reused for lots of different games, this will work only with an isometric perspective (RPG-Maker style), not with rendered artwork. You just can't move that rendered table around in the room without messing up the perspective
That's the problem I thought of...
It would be great to offer a set of objects and backgrounds for beginners, but the problem is the perspective.
I think in Adventures with normal graphicstyle you have to make the graphics yourself. But to test the editor and his possibilities one or two rooms are sufficient... So your idea is not bad StarLite.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

16 Sep 2009, 22:49

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. You never what people can do once they put their minds to it. I know when I was starting out before I used P&C DK I would have loved a graphic pack, but of course there wasn't any. So hopefully like I said someone might find a use for it. :)