Beamto Problem

For problems with creating games or for reporting bugs of the Tool.
StarLite
An Adventure Creator

Beamto Problem

10 Jan 2010, 02:45

Hello all,

I have a fellow testing my game for me on his computer. Everything was working fine till he tried to leave a room and the character wouldn't beamto the next room. So he's stuck in the one room and can't leave.

I did a search and found a message here that suggested that if you delete your saved games and start over the problem should be solved. But this is happening when the person is playing the game from the exe file.

I had the same problem in the same area when I was running the Create Game and playing it through the engine and not the exe file. I feared this would happen. Is there any way of fixing this. Thank you.
StarLite Moon's Creators Haven

http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net

Zimond
Der Engine Papa

10 Jan 2010, 15:52

the first thing to look at is the walkmap. Have you made sure that the spot you try to beam a character to is free and not blocked?

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

10 Jan 2010, 16:33

Hi Zimond,

The spot where the character has to beamto is free. I seem to only have this problem with this room. I've never seen it with the other rooms.

The room that I am having the problem in has a an exit object and this is the script for it:

Code: Select all

on (mouse)
showinfo(Cashier;false)

on (click)
walkto (self;7;23;4)
There are two walkmap areas, the one is so my character doesn't leave the room till he picks up everything he needs, and here is the script for that:

if_num(tools ; <5)
{
walkto(self;12;23;1)
speech(self;I better make sure I have everything I need)
break()
}
And each pickup object has this in the script setnum(tools;+1). The next walkmap area is where the beamto script is, this is the script for that:

beamto (self ; StoreCash ; 13 ; 23 ; 2)
The room I am beaming to 13,23 is clear. So I'm really stumped here.

Ok, I will try that site you gave me and upload the videos again today.

I'm always having trouble with missing script or script changing and I know that I am not making those changes. I'm wondering if there isn't something on my system that is conflicting with the script. I make sure that when I work with P&C that my virus scanner is disabled. I don't know what else to do. Thank you for your help.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

10 Jan 2010, 20:55

Well I just spent all afternoon trying to get this idiot to beamto the next room, he just doesn't want to go. I tried changing the position of the walkto and I even tried putting in the loadroom setfocus. He walks to the area, the screen flicks, but no go. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

13 Jan 2010, 19:25

Hi everyone,

Well what a nightmare trying to get this room to work. I spent two days at it with no luck. So I deleted the whole room, objects and all and started over. So far so good. He's beaming to the next room. Let's hope that that's the end of it. I think I'm going to try the same with that stupid box puzzle.

Schiman
PaC-DK God

13 Jan 2010, 21:29

Sometimes I can't imagine how things like this appear. I think that there are some bugs hidden in the depth of the engine or delphi, which occour under very special circumstances.
I remember my canceled project "Excidium". I had the problem the lower half of the screen could not be clicked on anymore. The engine just didn't react when I clicked the lower half of the screen.
I didn't find out the reason and I could'nt solve the problem, so I canceled the project (luckily it was at the beginning of the project, so I did not have a lot of work behind me).

I think it's similar in your case. I personally think that the reason for bugs like yours will never be found. You just have to hope that they never come again^^.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

13 Jan 2010, 22:53

Hi Schiman

Ouch! I hope it doesn't happen again.

Actually the way you are describing it is exactly the same. The exit symbol and walkmap areas are at the very bottom of the screen. I wonder if it is too close to the bottom. I never thought to move them further up the screen. It also happened when I put the exit symbol and walkmap spots on the other side of the screen but close to the bottom.

Hmm, that's something to think about. If it happens again I'll see if I can move them away from that area, but it might mean redoing the whole picture in Photoshop. When I first made those pics I didn't compensate for a lot of things and I guess that being one of them. But live and learn I guess. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :comp: