Unknown problem

For problems with creating games or for reporting bugs of the Tool.
Rohan
PaC-DK Newby

Unknown problem

02 Dec 2009, 20:02

This is really strange!
I have a menu with the usual new game, load game, quit screen. Every time I load the menu the taskbar jumps up. Not too big of a problem, but I thought I might as well fix that because it would be so easy. So I simply plugged in:

Taskbar(false)

in the games start script and then:

Taskbar true

right after you click new game at the end of the intro.
I loaded the game and everything looked good, the taskbar didn’t jump up at all. But then after the intro the taskbar still didn't come up! I decided I would remove both the Taskbar true and false lines of code but after I did that the taskbar works only in the menu and not in the actual game after the intro. This is so confusing, I really don't understand what is going on!!!
can someone help please!!!????
When a man fears for his reputation, he will temporarily humble himself.
-Rohan-

Rohan
PaC-DK Newby

02 Dec 2009, 20:43

So I recreated the taskbar room, that fixed the problem a little. Now it's back to how it was before, it pops up every time I load the menu and can be accessed, the taskbar should not be accessable in the menu...
-Rohan-

Rohan
PaC-DK Newby

02 Dec 2009, 20:49

Wow, I take that back! it's doing the same thing again! even after re-creating the room all over agian! What is this!?
-Rohan-

Schiman
PaC-DK God

02 Dec 2009, 20:54

Taskbar false should be taskbar(false). But I think you meant that ;).

I personally don't know what could be the reason for effects like that.

Baelavay
PaC-DK God

02 Dec 2009, 21:27

The first half of your bug description appeared totally normal to me: You set the taskbar false in the startscript and when a new game is started, the taskbar is set true. That's the usual routine because you want to enable the taskbar during the game but disable in the menu at the start.

What is irritating me though is that you said you loaded the game and "everything looked good, the taskbar didn’t jump up at all". So if that "looked good", you don't want the taskbar to be visible at all? Then why did you use taskbar(true) at all? ...I suppose you rather made that little mistake in your description. Probably you want the taskbar to be invisible at the start menu and visible during the gameplay, that's why you do taskbar(false) in the start script and taskbar(true) when the game starts.

So why is the taskbar invisible during the gameplay although you put the taskbar(true) at the end of the intro?
  • it is likely that you have somehow messed up the code lines so that the last taskbar-command before the game starts is a taskbar(false) instead of a taskbar(true). If that is the case, you should firstly sort out your code lines.
  • at some point, you are talking about "start new game" and then it's called "load game". These are different buttons in your start menu, different objects with different object scripts. Are you sure that both scripts contain correct taskbar-commands? The taskbar(true) must stand in the very end, before the game starts!
  • in case of the following scenario, the bug you described is also explicable: If once in your script, you had the taskbar disabled for the whole gameplay, played the game a bit and then saved. If you then decided to change the scripts of the buttons in your start menu so that the taskbar is enabled during the game. And if you then started up your game and loaded the old savegame with the load button. Then the taskbar would, like all other elements, have taken the status that it had at the point of time when you had created the old savegame. Solution? Use the new game button in your start menu and don't use your old savegame anymore. Generally speaking, if you change things like walkmaps or scripts that are of importance for the later game, you can't use your old savegames anymore because the new values won't be included in them.
If these approaches are not related to your project, you could perform this little test to explain the problem marked with bold letters above. Go in the Dev-mode of your game, start a new game, and somewhere in the gameplay, where the taskbar is not visible although it should, open the command line with ^ and enter taskbar(true). Does the taskbar appear now?
  • Yes: Indeed there must be a line taskbar(false) in your script where it shouldn't be. Seek and destroy ;)
  • No: There are 2 possibilities: Either your taskbar is not visible although it is enabled. Which means that is doesn't contain graphics. Or you have a line taskbar(false) in your main script or in any loop event.

Zimond
Der Engine Papa

03 Dec 2009, 00:09

i agree with Baelavay's 3. Possibility. Delete all savegames and try again.