Disappearing Objects

For problems with creating games or for reporting bugs of the Tool.
StarLite
An Adventure Creator

Disappearing Objects

02 Dec 2009, 15:52

Good day/night everyone

Well I've been making great progress with Roanoke finally, but unfortunately the good times never lasts forever.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting everything to work properly. One problem is that some of my objects keep either disappearing or moving to another location on the screen.

Before it was a seed pack that wouldn't show up when I did

setobj(blah;1)

So I made the seed pack part of the permanent scene. Then the problem went to the seed bag which moved from the location it's supposed to be in to the bottom of the screen behind my inventory icon. When that corrected itself, I used my verb coin to try to give a necklace to someone and my Talk icon was gone and then it showed up outside the verb coin.

My main character keeps zooming from big to small in areas where he shouldn't and some cutscenes won't work when they're supposed to.

I've got all kinds of weird things happening with this game. It doen't make sense why some things work one minute then they stop working the next.

I managed to finally get my music video to work right but after the video there is supposed to be a cutscene but it won't work. And to top it off, every time I load a saved game, the character or the character I've switched to keeps saying a text line from the very beginning of the game.

I know my script is a mess and believe me you'd get a great laugh out of it if you seen it, but some of it seems to work for me.

I am nearly at the end of this game. I just have to make it to the space ship and then that's it. I'm dying to get this thing finished, I've been working on it forever it seems. I'm anxious to get working on my next game. Any help would very much be appreciated. I'm not very good at explaining things so I hope you can understand this message. Thank you
StarLite Moon's Creators Haven

http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net

Schiman
PaC-DK God

02 Dec 2009, 21:00

I had a problem like that once. But it fixed itself somehow XD.

I experienced that objects appear in a different position from the one I gave them in the editor. Sometimes they also went out of the screen and I had the feeling that they disappeared.
I fixed that with a simple moveobj-command at the start script of the game. This was possible because the problem effected only a couple of objects.
And after I recreated the game several times the problem disappeared.

I don't know what the reason was and I didn't see the problem again.

Baelavay
PaC-DK God

02 Dec 2009, 21:27

Hi StarLite, I'm glad to hear that you are still pushing the development of your game. You're working on Roanoke for so many thousand hours now and it's annoying to be delayed by stupid bugs when it comes close to its completion. So we must make sure we can solve these quickly heh :)

You're coming with a bunch of bugs though... objects are moving or disappearing, coin menu objects are moving, characters are zooming and saying wrong speeches unaskedly... and all without a reason? I just hope nobody is playing tricks on you... or you on us :lol:

We probably won't get all your bugs solved at once. Instead you should go and solve them in sequence and explain your bugs in-depth one by one.

Your bugs really give cause for serious concern if there are no script events that produce those malfunctions. On the other hand, it has appeared to me too that I beamed my character somewhere and he started with a speech from somewhere totally different in the game. Given that I must admit that it's thinkable that PaCDK is having some errors whereas your script lines are correct. When that happened to me, it often helped to recreate the room, the object, the character etc and to copy-paste my script. Or to make up walkarounds... but these advises are pretty general, maybe you can explain some bugs more in-depth.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

03 Dec 2009, 00:58

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies.

@Baelavay
You're working on Roanoke for so many thousand hours
I started work on this game about 4 or 5 years ago now. A lot of that time was learning how to use certain programs including P&C. There were times I couldn't work on it at all due to health and life problems.

A couple of weekends ago I worked on the game for about 10 hours each day. I had gotten a lot done on the game in those two days. Every thing was working great and then all of a sudden all these problems happened.
I just hope nobody is playing tricks on you
It sort of feels that way. I thought that someone was getting on my computer and fooling around with it. I have a router on my machine but I have all kinds of firewalls and protection on here. I ran my virus checker and malware programs yesterday and my system is clean, so I can't see that being a problem.

I know you guys are very busy with your own projects, but if you would like I can send you my ADZ file if you'd like to take a look at it. I was going to ask if anyone would like to play the game just to see how far they would get with it. I managed to get all the way to the 15th century and back before my problems started. Now I can't even get out of the farming area in the 15th century.

It's very maddening and frustrating that's for sure. I like it when things go smoothly it makes me very happy but problems makes my blood pressure go wacko.

I'll try what Schiman told me and keep recreating the game and see what happens. Thank you once again.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

03 Dec 2009, 19:31

Hi again,

Well I tackled the on going problems with Roanoke today. A little success.

I have a ripped up note puzzle in my game that I had used script from the Slider demo in the puzzle's room. I got rid of that script and the note pieces script. I don't know if that was the problem or not.

And then I took Baelavay's advice to Rohan and replayed the game from the beginning to where I was having trouble with the disappearing objects. Everything was back to normal, except some of the cutscenes wouldn't work for some reason. I'll have to tackle that next and see what happens.

Hopefully the next time you hear from me the game will be finished. Thank you once again everyone for all your help. Take care