Need Help Creating Puzzle

For problems with creating games or for reporting bugs of the Tool.
StarLite
An Adventure Creator

Need Help Creating Puzzle

03 Oct 2009, 16:59

Good day my fellow creators

Well here I am again looking for help. I'm making excellent progress with Roanoke and learning a lot. But of course there's always something new to learn. Here's my problem. Please bare with me, I'm not that good at explaining things.

I have a computer aboard a ship that needs a code to key in. When you insert the crystals at the bottom of the computer other pictures light up. You have a diagram to go by. What I need to do is click on the symbols on the computer screen in order, but if it's wrong nothing happens, if it's keyed in right then the ship self destructs.

I thought about using the keypad script but I don't think it will work with this particular puzzle. I just need a push in the right direction. Here is a picture of the computer screen after the crystals are inserted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[img][img]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1661/computern.jpg[/img][/img]
StarLite Moon's Creators Haven

http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net

Schiman
PaC-DK God

03 Oct 2009, 21:01

Did I understand you right? If the player clicks the five symbols in an particular order then something happens?
This is very easy so I'm not sure if I got you right^^.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

03 Oct 2009, 21:55

Hi Schiman,

Thank you for the reply. Yes done in the correct order the ship blows up. There are the 5 symbols you see on screen and a diagram to tell you which order to click on then.

I'm just having trouble figuring out how to get started. I tried something like this before with another puzzle using the safe script in the basic tutorial 2 but that didn't work out right for me.

You have to remember that scripting is easy for you because you are smart. I have a cabbage for a brain so it takes me awhile to catch on to things. Plus this is the first time I'm gotten to work on the game regularly. I"ve been putting in time every day this week.

This is actually the end of the game. After this scene there is a video then the end, I hope. So I'm really anxious to get it finished so I can go on to the next game.

I hope this makes sense. I don't know how else to explain it. Thank you again.

Schiman
PaC-DK God

04 Oct 2009, 08:10

Well... let's go^^:

You have five symbols and each of them should have such a script:

Code: Select all

setnum(SymbolNumber;*number of the current symbol*)
function(SymbolCodeChecker;1)
And the function "SymbolCodeChecker" should contain this script:

Code: Select all

setnum(SymbolCounter;+1)
setnum(SymbolCode[SymbolCounter];[SymbolNumber])
if_num(SymbolCounter;>4)
 {
   if_num(SymbolCode1;*Your first number*)
     if_num(SymbolCode2;*Your second number*)
       if_num(SymbolCode3;*Your third number*)
         if_num(SymbolCode4;*Your fourth number*)
           if_num(SymbolCode5;*Your fifth number*)
             {
                cutscene(*name of the cutscene with the self-destruction*)
                break()
             }
   setnum(SymbolCounter;0)
   *do whatever you want when the code was not right. An errorsound or something like that would be good. The player has then the possibility to notice when his code was wrong.*
 }
I think this is it. If something's not clear then just ask^^.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to tell you that you have to set SymbolCounter to 0 before you start the whole thing.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

04 Oct 2009, 18:10

Hi Schiman,

Thank you so much for your help. I won't be able to try the script today, I have a really bad headache. Hopefully it will be gone by tonight and I should be able to try the script then.

This script sure has cleared up a lot for me. I could use this script in similar puzzles in my game. I've checked it against the box puzzle that I have and I see now where I went wrong with it.

This is great, thank you very much for your help. I am so close to the end of this game. Hopefully everyone will be playing it soon and I hope someone will like it. Take care for now.