Verb Coin Question

For problems with creating games or for reporting bugs of the Tool.
StarLite
An Adventure Creator

Verb Coin Question

21 Mar 2009, 17:01

Hey everyone, I have a question concerning the Verb Coin. I never really noticed this before so I'm not sure if this is suppose to happen or not. Here's my problem.

Usually when you use a taskbar or the mouse icons, when you go to say pick something up. When you put the pickup icon on the object the Action Text line at the bottom usually reads Pickup keys or Look at Picture. But when I use any of the icons from my Verb Coin at all, it just reads Walk to Look or Look at Look, and it does the same thing with all the other Coin icons.

I noticed that at one point when I started P&C a message that didn't say it was an error said something like "Active Coin in use, mouse icons will be disabled and only the mouse defaults Walk and Loading will be active". So I'm guessing that is why my icons are not working as they would like in the taskbar. Is this how the Verb Coin is supposed to work and if not how can I get it to work properly. The icons do what they're supposed to, you can pickup stuff up and look at things, it just doesn't come through in the Action Text line below.

Also another problem which could be my fault is that my character when he leaves or enters a room he walks half way up the doors or the walls, even though they're blocked off by the walkmap.

I'm not very good at explaining things so I hope this makes sense. Any help fixing the Coin problem would greatly be appreciated. Thank you
StarLite Moon's Creators Haven

http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net

Baelavay
PaC-DK God

Re: Verb Coin Question

21 Mar 2009, 18:55

StarLite wrote:Walk to Look or Look at Look
The object doesn't contain a "showinfo(Look;true)", does it? You explained that there occured a conflict between the coin interface and the mouse icons. Usually you should use either the "intelligent mouse" with the multiple choosable icons or the verb coin. Did you make sure that the option "Intelligent Mouse" in the mouse menu is disabled, as you're using the coin interface instead?

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

22 Mar 2009, 00:35

Hi Baelavay,
The object doesn't contain a "showinfo(Look;true)", does it?
Yes it does. I've tried it both as true and false and still get the same problem. Although when combining items it shows up in the Action Text line as

Use glass with pills

or

Give books to Librarian

But when it comes to actually looking at something or picking up things, it doesn't work that way.

In the Setup Mouse Icons, I have "changes icon (Classic)" checked. I'm not sure if I tried Intelligent mouse or not.

In the Verb Coin object script I have this

Code: Select all

on(mouse)
showinfo(Look;true or false)

on(click)
command(look)
Zimond told me to do it that way so people could tell the difference between the icons. I guess because three of the icons are hands and people might get confused which one is which.

If I just use the Verb Coin on it's own it doesn't work at all, so I guess it's combined with the mouse icons.

I've been having all kinds of weird problems going on with this computer. I had to upgrade my antivirus program and I finally got a half decent one that doesn't eat up all the memory. Thanks for the reply. I'll keep plugging away at it and see what happens.

Baelavay
PaC-DK God

22 Mar 2009, 10:47

The showinfo(Look;true) in the coin object is correct.

Your problem is that when executing "Look" on the object e.g. "Picture", you get "Look at Look" instead of "Look at Picture", right? That's why I suppose you have a showinfo(Look;true) in your "Picture" object. If that's the case, please exchange it with a showinfo(Picture;true) and check if that solved the problem.

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

22 Mar 2009, 17:06

Hi Baelavay
That's why I suppose you have a showinfo(Look;true) in your "Picture" object.
No, I think the problem must be with the Coin. Here is the script for the Picture

on(mouse)
showinfo(Painting ; true)

on(click)
walkto(self;21;15;1)

on(look)
{
minicut()
speech(self; This is a painting I drew of a girl from my dream. I wonder who she is ; phil_vox_9)
break()
}
And here is the script for the wallet

on(mouse)
showinfo(Wallet ; true)

on(click)
walkto(self;4;23;4)

on(look)
speech(self; It's my wallet ; phil_vox_13)

on(pickup)

if_obj (wallet;1)
  {
   minicut()
   pickup(self)
   speech(self; I'm loaded!)
   playsound(zipper;50)
   additem (self ; wallet)
   setobj (wallet ; 0)
   setnum(dont_forget;+1)
   setbool(wallet;false)
   setbool(dayroom_closed;true)
   break()
   }
The Problem is the same with all the Look at, Use or Pickup scripts in the game. When I use the Coin, it does what it has to do Looking at things or Using, Picking stuff up. It just doesn't show it in the Action Text line at the bottom.

If I have to I can live with it doing that, but you know how people are. I'm going to get numerous complaints about it. The pain in the neck people are not happy with just playing a game, they have to pick apart every little thing they can to either try and crash the game and blame me or just to be a pain in the lower extremities.

I forgot to mention that I'm using the new updated version 2.93a, but I have the same problem with the older version as well, I just didn't notice it till now. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you for your reply and trying to help.

Zimond
Der Engine Papa

22 Mar 2009, 18:49

Zimond told me to do it that way so people could tell the difference between the icons. I guess because three of the icons are hands and people might get confused which one is which.
whoops, my bad. Coin Menu Objects (just like objects in the taskbar) should not contain showinfos. An alternative would be to change the object state and use a graphical text instead of showinfo.

on (mouse)
setobj (coinobject ; 2)

on (mouseout)
setobj (coinobject ; 1)

Schiman
PaC-DK God

22 Mar 2009, 19:00

Zimond wrote:on (mouse)
setobj (coinobject ; 2)

on (mouseout)
setobj (coinobject ; 1)
Wouldn't

on(mouse)
instobj(coinobject;2)

be easier?

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

22 Mar 2009, 23:14

Oh man, just when I thought I was getting the hang of bools. There's always so much to learn.

Thank you very much everyone for your help. I'm going to give these a try tonight when my arm settles down. I'll let you know later how it goes. Thanks again, take care :banana:

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

23 Mar 2009, 19:44

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I did what Zimond told me and that worked out, but I'm still wondering about the Action Text Line. When you put the look icon on say a picture, it shows look at for a split second. I thought the Verb Coin would work sort of like the taskbar where when you click on the look icon it stays on the screen till you finish looking at whatever object.

Oh well, it doesn't really matter, the coin is working and does what it's supposed to do. Thanks everyone for your help.