Corrupt and Disappearing Files

For problems with creating games or for reporting bugs of the Tool.
StarLite
An Adventure Creator

Corrupt and Disappearing Files

21 Jan 2010, 18:48

Good day all,

Now here's one for the books. I sat down today to do some work on my game. I disabled my virus scanner as I always do. Loaded up P&C DK when I went to open my Roanoke adv file I got this message:

Point and Click DK.exe corrupt file
The File or directory c:\P&C DK 294 File\Roanoke_294\Bookstore is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the CHKDSK

Then I got this come up on the screen I/O error 1382

So I went into the bookstore room in the engine and sure enough all the rooms in the bookstore are gone. Now I know I didn't delete them, they are a vital part of the game. So what happened to them. I also get a message saying that the files are non-existant when in fact they are there. So I went into the file that P&C creates with all the files in it and sure enough, the files are gone. But how did they disappear. I know for a fact that I didn't delete them, I'm not that stupid or senile yet. Everything was fine yesterday, I ran the export after I finished working on the game. Anyone have any ideas what's happening. And no I'm not tricking anyone, they disappeared and I don't know why.
StarLite Moon's Creators Haven

http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net

Benni
Tutorial Reader

22 Jan 2010, 14:22

Did you try to check your hard drive for errors, as it said in the error message?

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

23 Jan 2010, 01:06

Hi Benni,

My hubby did the CHKDSK and the files came back, but I still can't figure out why the directory got corrupted in the first place. I think it might have something to do with my wireless mouse or keyboard. So far everything is back to normal but who knows for how long. I'm always having weird things going on with my computers. I ran the virus scanner yesterday and I'm clean.

I guess it's just one of those things, I had never gotten anything like that before so of course it scared me. I hope I don't run into anything else like that till I get that game finished.

Benni
Tutorial Reader

23 Jan 2010, 16:46

That's why you should always make backups of all your files. Hard drives aren't immortal and not every problem can be fixed that easily. If you have two computers at home, it's a good idea to just keep a copy of your most important files on both of them, so you don't lose anything if one of them fails.

japanhonk
PaC-DK God

23 Jan 2010, 18:36

Hi everyone,

I think itis a general problemof the engine. I also had several problems, suddenly appearing. Graphics are suddenly gone, character scripts are
exchanged or the adv. files were not able to be loaded. Errors appeared
at scripts I did not chaged in any way.

As it was already said before - Be sure that you have backups of your project.

If your HDD is ok, I think you can not do more.
:pcprob:
Manni
Es gibt 10 Arten von Usern :
die, die Binärcode verstehen und die, die es nicht tun....
----------------------------------------------------------
STAR TREK FYNE :
http://www.fynegames.homepage.t-online.de

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

25 Jan 2010, 17:15

Hi Manni,

I was getting a little worried there, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I am almost scared to work on my game because I never know what is next. I am so close to finishing this game, I just want to get it done.

I hope this is a problem that can be solved. I love P&C DK, it's the best engine out there and I've tried a lot of them. This engine is easy to use and you can do so much with it. Graphics are easy to import, music works great, it's even easy to implement movie scenes into it and yes even the script is easy to learn. The reason I have so much trouble with scripting is because my old brain is worn out from all the drugs I've been on for the past 15 years.

The thing that worries me though, is even if I get through the game without any problems and I release the game, are other people going to have the same problems I did. This already happened with a beta tester. When I zipped up the game, it was working fine, then when he played it, he couldn't get out of the store.

I hope there is an easy solution to these problems because I have about 20 more games I want to make, (if I live that long), and I don't want to use any other engine. P&C DK is the best. :banana:

japanhonk
PaC-DK God

25 Jan 2010, 18:23

Hey,

don´t worry - be happy.... :mrgreen:

I am testing my game on two systems, so I have a copy of the game on my second system.

During wor, I save the adv´s at 2 different names in two different directories. I think that may beware me of a desaster. One time a week, I export the project and save it.

But it is the first time I hear about such problems of an .exe file. :shock:

At other programs I heard about problems when packing / extracting files
or join shared files - but I did not hear about bugs at my game and I splitted
the game.

Try to secure at different directories before you run a test after you worked on your project - It is not a solution - but a reason to feel more relaxed :lol:

So I am courious for your games - if I live long enough to play them...

Greetz

Manni
Es gibt 10 Arten von Usern :
die, die Binärcode verstehen und die, die es nicht tun....
----------------------------------------------------------
STAR TREK FYNE :
http://www.fynegames.homepage.t-online.de

StarLite
An Adventure Creator

27 Jan 2010, 18:27

Hi Benni & Manni,

Yes, first thing I do now is back everything up. As soon as I make a change, right away I do an export, then I copy the adz files over to my external drive, then I copy them over to a 4 gig chip, then I'll copy them to a cd later. Either way I'm not getting caught off guard again. Although the automatic backups that P&C does now helps a lot.

Believe me the other game engines out there are not as good. Before P&C, I've tried AGS, Wintermute, Lassie, Visionaire, Adventure Maker and this program is by far the best.

I think people like me expect too much from an engine. Myself I want to make games like those Hidden Object games and they have weird puzzles to them, which I'm sure those of you who are great with script can pull off, but for myself it's a chore. I still can't get my box puzzle to work yet and I still have to make a ripped up note puzzle which I tried but didn't really spend the time on it.

That reminds me, I wanted to work on my game today because yesterday I wasn't feeling very well, I caught a cold at the doctor's the other day and spent the day laid up on the couch.

So with that in mind I'm going to say so long till later. Take care everyone and happy creating. :comp: